fstab-sync wipes out /etc/fstab

oleksandr korneta mai11ist at fastmail.fm
Sun Oct 16 14:45:10 UTC 2005

on 10/16/2005 10:27 AM Bill Perkins wrote:

>>I agree here. And more than that, all stuff is kept being mounted into
>>/media deirectory despite the fact that by the unix-way there is a /mnt
>>directory intended for this. So if there is any config file which
>>allowes me to fix that, please point me to it, i'm going to put the
>>things in my way immediately
>>

> Would you believe /etc/fstab?

dear Bill, you are missing the point.
Whenever I plug my flashdrive/externel_hdd/mp3_player into usb port the
new mounting points created by fstab are
/media/lexar, /media/kingston, /media/depends_on_flashdive_manufacturer
/media/vfat, /media/linux, /media/depends_on_hdd_filesystem
/media/iriver, /media/iaudio_g3, /media/again_by_playertype_and_vendor

all this mounting points are naturally wiped out after the ums-device is
unplugged. Thus, if you notice the common thing for all of them is
/media directory the purpose of which (when there is /mnt) I'm not
getting at all. I would be glad if someone could explain it to me. But
the main point the whatever the reason is I dont need this directory on
my system and want to teach fstab-sync to not use it either. Now how to
do that?

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta