[SPAM DETECT] Re: Webcam application in FC-4?

M Daniel R M danes16subscrip3 at ya.com
Sun Oct 16 15:04:58 UTC 2005

El jue, 13-10-2005 a las 18:17 -0400, Bob Goodwin escribió:
> M Daniel R M wrote:

> >Camorama and camstream are two developed apps just for that purpose.
> >
> >GnomeMeeting can take snapshots too, as you were said yet.
> >
> >Also, xawtv can do that, if launched as "xawtv -c /dev/videox" where "x"
> >is the number for your usb webcam device. Then just hit Ctrl+J when
> >you're ready...:-)
> >
> >There are several other apps that can manage a webcam, but here we'd
> >talking about video streams...
> >
> >Regards
> >
> >Daniel
> >

> I am still trying to make this webcam work but without much success.
> The computer apparently sees it but the applications I have tried don't
> and I haven't found much documentation.  I have two devices connected to
> the USB ports, the HP scanner works ok with FC4 but not the camera.
>
> $ lsusb
> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 03f0:0701 Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 5300c/5370c
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04fc:0561 Sunplus Technology Co., Ltd
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> CamE starts and dies apparently because it's not seeing the camera:
>
> $ camE
> camE: camE 1.9 - (c) 1999, 2000 Gerd Knorr, Tom Gilbert
> camE: grabber config: size 320x240, input 0, norm 0, jpeg quality 75
> can't load font arial/8
> can't load font arial/8
> open /dev/video0: No such file or directory
>
> GnomeMeeting reports that no video device is found.
>
> I also installed "camstream."  It runs but displays no video either.  It
> appears that
> I have something misconfigured but I don't know what?
>
> Any thought as to what I've missed or done wrong?
>
> Bob Goodwin

There are lots of webcam models and manufacturers out there, personally
I've never heard anything about SunPlus Tech. (which it doesn't means
too much either..;-p
What you should care about is which chipset is based on your webcam
model, because you're needing some Linux driver able to manage it.
That's the reason those apps fail, there is no any suitable driver
installed or loaded yet.
Support for webcams in Linux is continuously spreading, that's due to
the effort generously made by volunteers alone, almost from scratch in
some cases, bear in mind this later, please.
So, first you should find out which driver could solve your problem, if
it exists... If not, neither despair you earlier, please... -things at
this are changing almost daily- and check/follow possible new develops
from time to time instead, nor complain about it. It would be better to
claim first to the manufacturer in particular that sells you a product
without any driver for your favourite O.S. It would be unrealistic to
avoid that webcam manufacturer in particular, since almost all of them
seem to do not care anything apart from Windows -and maybe Mac's- users.

Have a look here: http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html

It took me about 60 seconds from Google with this values: Sunplus
technology webcam linux support
So, the driver you need could be something named like spca"whatever".

Be optimistic Bob, sure there is already lot of info about this.

Regards,

Daniel