[non-deterministic names] fstab-sync wipes out /etc/fstab

jim branagan fedora at themusenashville.com
Sun Oct 16 22:27:31 UTC 2005

>It would be _really_ nice to find comprehensable documentation of
>fstab-config somewhere. Like how to fix it _my_ way...

It would be *** REALLY NICE *** is I didn't have to search for my
dvd-recorder every time I reboot.
Sometimes its /media/cdrecorder, sometimes /media/cdrecorder2.
Sometimes its on scsi bus 0, sometimes on scsi bus 1 (my usb hard drive
is on the other).  My usb hard drive also gets mounted under several
different names, making symbolic links and 'bind' mounts rather difficult.
Most annoying of all, If I add a hard drive, the funky volitile numbers
grub uses to access things change, and I can't reboot without a rescue
disc until I guess the new numbers.  Why does (0,0) become (2,0), the
new drive (1,0), and (0,0) get left unused?

I don't really care if it does it my way or not, I just want it to be
deterministic and predictable.