Thunderbird Date Format

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Oct 17 15:11:28 UTC 2005

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 10/15/05, Stuart Sears <stuart at sjsears.com> wrote:

>>Dotan Cohen enlightened us with the following gems on 14/10/05 06:08:
>>
>>>The Thunderbird mail client defaults to the mm/dd/yyyy date format. I
>>>need to replace that with dd/mm/yyyy. I found the answer is to change
>>>LC_TIME to my local setting (he_IL). But where is that stored? I
>>>tried:
>>>/etc/profile
>>>~/profile
>>>~/.profile
>>>~/.bash_profile
>>>~/.bashrc
>>>
>>>and several others that turned up in searches. But none of them have
>>>this setting. Where is it located in Fedora Core 4? Thank you.
>>
>>have you tried system-config-language ?
>>I had this problem, but I hadn't noticed that GNOME was set to US
>>English (as I don't use it)
>>It seems that thunderbird uses the GNOME language/locale settings, so
>>changing that fixed it.
>>
>>- --
>>Stuart Sears RHCE RHCX
>

> Thank you. I did:
> $ export LANG="he_IL.UTF.8"
> $ export LC_ALL="he_IL.UTF.8"
>
> and then logged out and back in. That solved it- at least I have
> dd/mm/yy. I'd really like dd-mm-yyyy but I guess that the Thunderbird
> developers did not think that one could be so picky! But that's what
> extensions are for, no?
>
> Dotan
> http://technology-sleuth.com/index.php

This comment doesn't just fit for Thunderbird but for Linux in general.

I prefer ISO date format under US or Canadian English as a system wide
default.  It would be nice to do this without having to jump through a
bunch of hoops to achieve it.

It would be nice to have a choice in data/time setting or language
settings similar to what is in (yech) Windows.  Something that would
allow setting the date format and choosing the time display format.

I tried mucking around in the date format settings but didn't get any
success.

--
Robin Laing