TV load question.

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Mon Oct 17 19:50:08 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 08:52:19AM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 08:53 -0500, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

> > > ----
> > > do you have mplayer installed?
> > >
> > > on my FC-3 system (at means Axel Thimm's repo)
> > >
> > > # rpm -qa|grep mplayer
> > > mplayer-1.0-36_pre5.rhfc3.at
> > > mplayer-fonts-1.0-6.at
> > > mplayer-skins-1.0-pre3_12.at
> > > mplayer-skin-mini-0.1-11.1.at
> > > mplayerplug-in-3.05-1.1.fc3.rf
> > >
> > > Craig
> > >
> > I have the following installed and mplayer works but the tv does not.
> > mplayer-1.0-0.lvn.o26.pre7try2.4
> > mplayer-fonts-1.1.0.lvn.3.4
> > mplayerplug-in-2.80.0.lvn.1.4
> > w32codec-1.0_20041107-11.at
> >
> > Which is one combination of mplayer that works on CNN video for
> > example but not on tv. I can try to install the skin and skins rpms if
> > you think that  would help.
> ----
> I believe that the skins are what make it a standalone player (not a
> plug-in in firefox for example)
>
> Normally, when you browse to a page that would open a stream, it would
> search for a mime-type and that would be the clue as to how to handle
> it. I presume that you open a browser and connect to a specific link -
> you probably need to give us more details of what is happening and where
> things stop working - and I would suggest on fedora-list since there are
> people who are a lot more knowledgeable than I on this stuff.
>
> Craig
This post is too long but let me briefly explain. First the broadcast
stream if retrieved from a Windows server which in turn retrieves it
from a Linux server. It is stated by the producer of the distribution
software that it works in IE (Windows) and Safari (OS/X). They say
flatly that it does not work with firefox and I am trying to find out
why. (By the way where do you find the skins rpm? Everywhere I found
it it would not download).

I am always mystified how you add a plugin or expand the extensions
for a file type like video/mpeg. Anyway mplayer works on a variety of
video file types by mp2 and mp4 are not among them. So I would like
to add them. I tried by changing the pluginreg.dat and the
mimeTypes.rdf  files but to no avail. The video files are not
recognized.
Any further ideas out there.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science