Installing Gnome 2.12 in Fedora

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Oct 17 21:13:15 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 12:22 -0700, Ian MacGregor wrote:

> I am worried about mixing repos in doing this. I currently use
> Extras/livna and I heard that the nrpms repo replaces core files. Isn't
> this dangerous? I'd love to use the new gnome, but I don't want to take
> a chance on hosing my system because I mixed repos.

Yes, it is dangerous.
Yum should prevent any libraries from being replaced that you need for
other software, but it can not know about software you might want to
install in the future.

For example - gtkhtml3 from gnome 2.12.x is different that from gnome
2.10.

If you have an rpm that depends upon the older gtkhtml3 that is not in
nrpms, you should get a dependency conflict. However - if you don't
currently have such an rpm and you want to install one in the future,
you won't be able to unless nrpms has it built against the new gtkhtml3.

One possibility is to have both versions of gtkhtml3 installed - you can
make an rpm for it yourself and call it compat-gtkhtml3 - or you can be
patient and wait for Fedora Core 5. Or you can be adventurous and run
Fedora Rawhide instead of Core 4 with nrpms.