DVD doesn't mount, but writing works fine.

Kim Lux lux at diesel-research.com
Mon Oct 17 21:44:26 UTC 2005

I'm running FC4 with all the updates.  Generally it works great.  I can
write DVDs without errors using K3B.

However, I can't mount a DVD for reading.  Selecting "Mount" on the "CD
Recorder" icon on the desktop yields:

"mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was
specified Please check that the disk is entered correctly."

I've tried this with both a Rocky Ridge and Joliet formated DVDs as well
as a 3rd party commercial DVD.

Double clicking the "CD Recorder" icon yields:

Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified

Doing it manually:

mount /dev/hdc -tjfs tmp
mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
       missing codepage or other error

Any idea what could be causing this problem ?

--
Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.