yum version of "apt-get mirror-select"

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Tue Oct 18 02:19:59 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 16:51 -0700, Richard E Miles wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 14:55:46 -0700
> Richard E Miles <r.godzilla at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 11:08:43 -0700
> > MJang <mike at mommabears.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Folks,
> > >
> > > Now that Fedora is moving towards yum as the sole update tool, I'm
> > > wondering if there's a yum version of the following command:
> > >
> > > apt-get mirror-select
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Mike
> > >

> > There is no apt-get command in yum. Instead of apt-get use yum install:
> > yum install mirror-select.
> >

> I noticed that mirror-select is not in any of the standard yum repositories.
> What is mirror-select? You might be able to find it in some other repository.

mirror-select is not a package. It is an option for the RPM version of
apt-get which can help determine the most appropriate repository, based
either on a predetermined list, or two or more input URLs. It's sort of
like netselect for Debian. I don't know if there are any plans to
incorporate the option into yum. If not, I'll make a feature request.

Thanks,
Mike