installing ant, no alternatives

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Tue Oct 18 14:41:32 UTC 2005

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Am Mo, den 17.10.2005 schrieb Michael Hennebry um 22:20:
>
> > > Follow the excellent howto
> > >
> > > http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/JPackage_Java_for_FC4
> > >
> > > to install Java. Though written for FC4 it should work too on your FC3.
> > > It too explains how to use alternatives to switch between different Java
> > > machines installed in parallel.
> >
> > It looks interesting, but it doesn't really tell me
> > which set of alternatives I need to make ant run.
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&w=2&r=1&s=FC3+java+placeholder&q=b
>
> alternatives is documented, it is explained in the howto and has a man
> page.

/home/hennebry> /usr/sbin/alternatives --display java
java - status is manual.
 link currently points to /usr/share/java/libgcj-java-placeholder.sh
/usr/share/java/libgcj-java-placeholder.sh - priority 100
 slave rmiregistry: /usr/bin/grmiregistry
 slave rmiregistry.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/grmiregistry.1.gz
Current `best' version is /usr/share/java/libgcj-java-placeholder.sh.

Installing a package with a mechanism designed to install it
should not result in a nonworking system..
So far as I can tell, jpackage does not document how to fix
the things it breaks except to say to use alternatives.

--
Mike   hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES.  *I* ONLY TURN UP ONCE."  --  Death