installing ant, no alternatives

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Oct 18 16:06:28 UTC 2005

Am Di, den 18.10.2005 schrieb Michael Hennebry um 16:41:

> /home/hennebry> /usr/sbin/alternatives --display java
> java - status is manual.
>  link currently points to /usr/share/java/libgcj-java-placeholder.sh
> /usr/share/java/libgcj-java-placeholder.sh - priority 100
>  slave rmiregistry: /usr/bin/grmiregistry
>  slave rmiregistry.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/grmiregistry.1.gz
> Current `best' version is /usr/share/java/libgcj-java-placeholder.sh.
>
> Installing a package with a mechanism designed to install it
> should not result in a nonworking system..

libgcj is an approach to make Sun's Java runtime environment not
necessary. So it does not provide that for all situations where Java is
required.

> So far as I can tell, jpackage does not document how to fix
> the things it breaks except to say to use alternatives.

Where does JPackage.org packages break things? As far as I see you
didn't install Sun's j2re from the skeleton src.rpm. Please do that. If
you don't install an alternate to the libgcj with its placeholder you
can complain as much as you want but won't come further.
Please follow the howto

http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/JPackage_Java_for_FC4

and switch to the freshly installed j2re using the alternatives command
/ mechanism. If you installed ant cleanly from JPackage.org repository
you should have no problem then to use it.

> Mike   hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu

Alexander

Serendipity 18:00:13 up 19 days, 2:56, load average: 0.14, 0.11, 0.03