installing ant, no alternatives

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Tue Oct 18 17:41:23 UTC 2005

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Am Di, den 18.10.2005 schrieb Michael Hennebry um 16:41:
>
> > /home/hennebry> /usr/sbin/alternatives --display java
> > java - status is manual.
> >  link currently points to /usr/share/java/libgcj-java-placeholder.sh
> > /usr/share/java/libgcj-java-placeholder.sh - priority 100
> >  slave rmiregistry: /usr/bin/grmiregistry
> >  slave rmiregistry.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/grmiregistry.1.gz
> > Current `best' version is /usr/share/java/libgcj-java-placeholder.sh.
> >
> > Installing a package with a mechanism designed to install it
> > should not result in a nonworking system..
>
> libgcj is an approach to make Sun's Java runtime environment not
> necessary. So it does not provide that for all situations where Java is
> required.
>
> > So far as I can tell, jpackage does not document how to fix
> > the things it breaks except to say to use alternatives.
>
> Where does JPackage.org packages break things? As far as I see you

My apologies if English is not your native language.
In English, something can be broken
even if it has not been split into pieces.
What matters is that it has gone from
a working state to a nonworking state.
In this case, the java command used to run java byte code.
Since my struggle with jpackage, it just prints an error message.

> didn't install Sun's j2re from the skeleton src.rpm. Please do that. If
> you don't install an alternate to the libgcj with its placeholder you
> can complain as much as you want but won't come further.
> Please follow the howto
>
> http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/JPackage_Java_for_FC4
>
> and switch to the freshly installed j2re using the alternatives command
> / mechanism. If you installed ant cleanly from JPackage.org repository
> you should have no problem then to use it.

Apparently, despite the lack of error messages,
I didn't get a clean install.

How sure are you that the FC4 instructions will work FC3?

What does sudo yum localinstall *.rpm  do?
The man page on yum doesn't mention localinstall.

Before trying again, should I uninstall ant stuff?
Should I remove additions I made to /etc/yum.repos.d ?

--
Mike   hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES.  *I* ONLY TURN UP ONCE."  --  Death