Fixing a degraded mirror

Mike McMullen mlm at loanprocessing.net
Tue Oct 18 21:05:44 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I am running FC4 and using mirroring on 2 200GB Maxtor DiamondMax 9 EIDE drives.

The drives are partitioned as /boot, swap and /. There are no spares in  the system.

Today smartd started reporting the following message:

"The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/hda, 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

For details see host's SYSLOG (default: /var/log/messages).

You can also use the smartctl utility for further investigation.
No additional email messages about this problem will be sent."

I've received about 5 email messages like this so I am assuming 5 sectors
are starting to go since it says no additional messages will be sent. Is this
correct to assume?

Is there anyway to salvage the drive and have it rejoin the mirror? If so,
how would someone who has not done this by hand do it?

I have purchased a 200 GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA drive since
I also have 2 SATA connectors in  the box to replace the failing EIDE drive.

The reason for that being that the system boots from the 1st partition of the
failing drive.

Can I mix the SATA partitions with EIDE partitions to create mirrors?
If so can someone point me to the idiot's guide for this?

TIA,

Mike

Mike