broke browsers

LeRoy Dorman ldorman at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 18 21:34:03 UTC 2005

I upgraded my RH9 to FC4 (I know, not the simplest choice), but almost
everything worked initially.  Mozilla plugins, such as acroread, java, did
not.  While futzing around trying to fix this, editing
mozilla>edit>preferences, and turning selinux on and off, I found that
mozilla would no longer work.  Executing from the command line or the
globe-click thingy produces an appropriate amount of disk-churning, but
nothing is displayed.

I tried "yum remove mozilla.i386" and "yum install mozilla.i386", and
turning off selinux, and ./autorelabel and booting (grub) with selinux=0.

The mailer in the toolbar "Evolution", works fine
(can't see it at the moment since I am booted to WinXP),
but firefox (umder FC4) has the same problem (not producing a frame).

Additional details are:
Kernel: 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 from RedHat Fedora,
Mozilla.i386 37:1.7.12-1.5.1

My son (Eric Dorman) referred to Linux as a benevolent virus, something
which is beneficial, but continually mutating.

I have watched tail -f /var/whatevr/messages, and seen nothing while trying
to start the browsers. The accounting stuff is turned off.
DISPLAY is set to ":0.0".  I am using a NVidia GeForce 4200 I think,
but am using the nv driver in "xorg.conf".

Does anyone have suggestions as to what to monitor?
I have put in some "echo 'I am wherever' lines in the mozilla
execution script, but nothing surprising emerged.

Wishing I had a text/curses browser,

LeRoy Dorman
San Diego