upgrading to an SMP kernel

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Tue Oct 18 23:33:27 UTC 2005

> Mike,
>
>    Thanks for the reply. I understand this issue. The reason I need SMP
> is based on a less than obvious requirement that V4L only works with the
> SMP kernel. We have a special device driver written by WIS that we use
> for my video board that uses V4L and OSS.   SEE http://rgptech.com for
> hardware data etc.
>
>    The SMP kernel is the only one that works with the driver and our
> application, which by the way, works very well at this point on
> 2.6.11-1.27FC3smp .

Hi Gordon,

OK, I'm with you.

If you download and install the kernel-smp rpm files, that would be the
best starting point.

I think right now that would be kernel-smp-2.6.12-1.1378_FC3.

The RPM install should build a new initrd. That's very important, so
check that there's an associated initrd in /boot after /bootthe install:

/boot/initrd-2.6.12-1.1378_FC3smp.img

if it doesn't you can make the initrd this way;

mkintrd /boot/initrd-2.6.12-1.1378_FC3smp.img initrd-2.6.12-1.1378_FC3smp

Then you're going to need to edit /boot/grub.conf to make the system
boot the smp kernel by default.

After that, you should be able to boot the machine with the smp kernel
even on your single proc box.

-Mike