bouncing mail in evolution

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Oct 18 23:35:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 16:45, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> Is it possible to bounce mail in evolution?
> How about thunderbird? Is mail bouncing possible there.

The MUA is the wrong place to bounce email.  Email should be bounced at
the MTA level which means on the server it is being received on.
What is the problem you are trying to solve?  Are you trying to
eliminate spam?  If so there are several methods of implementing
spamassassin which do an excellent job of sorting out spam from your
regular email.  I have been using a filter in evolution for a few years
now which calls spamassassin and moves spam to a specified folder.
Newer versions of evolution includes integration with spamassassin so
you can send items to junk.  It takes about 100 or so junk messages
before the baysian filtering of spamassassin kicks in.  There are other
spam filters out there as well but I have not used those.

If you have control of the MTA you should consider implementing
greylisting.  This uses a lot less resources than spamassassin.  But to
use greylisting you must have control of the MTA.

Also, in general it a bad idea to bounce email in most cases.  Spam in
general has bogus from addresses so bouncing messages back to those poor
users does no one any good, they did not send the spam.  Legit errors on
the MTA will bounce messages and those are OK.  But users bouncing
messages is normally a bad thing.  If you don't want the message just
trash it.