broke browsers

Vikram Goyal vikigoyal at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 01:59:00 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: LeRoy Dorman <ldorman at mindspring.com>
Sent: Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 02:34:03PM -0700
To For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: broke browsers

> I upgraded my RH9 to FC4 (I know, not the simplest choice), but almost
> everything worked initially.  Mozilla plugins, such as acroread, java, did
> not.  While futzing around trying to fix this, editing
> mozilla>edit>preferences, and turning selinux on and off, I found that
> mozilla would no longer work.  Executing from the command line or the
> globe-click thingy produces an appropriate amount of disk-churning, but
> nothing is displayed.
>
> I tried "yum remove mozilla.i386" and "yum install mozilla.i386", and
> turning off selinux, and ./autorelabel and booting (grub) with selinux=0.
>
> The mailer in the toolbar "Evolution", works fine
> (can't see it at the moment since I am booted to WinXP),
> but firefox (umder FC4) has the same problem (not producing a frame).
>
> Additional details are:
> Kernel: 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 from RedHat Fedora,
> Mozilla.i386 37:1.7.12-1.5.1
>
> My son (Eric Dorman) referred to Linux as a benevolent virus, something
> which is beneficial, but continually mutating.
>
> I have watched tail -f /var/whatevr/messages, and seen nothing while trying
> to start the browsers. The accounting stuff is turned off.
> DISPLAY is set to ":0.0".  I am using a NVidia GeForce 4200 I think,
> but am using the nv driver in "xorg.conf".
>
> Does anyone have suggestions as to what to monitor?
> I have put in some "echo 'I am wherever' lines in the mozilla
> execution script, but nothing surprising emerged.
>
> Wishing I had a text/curses browser,
>
> LeRoy Dorman
> San Diego
>

> ------------------------------

When upgradingi, dir of previous version is also kept in
/usr/lib/mozilla-XVersion.

Check which version is installed and delete all previous
leftover mozilla version dirs.

But check before deleting that the version of mozilla is not
installed. The dir of the removed version is almost empty but
sometimes causes this kind of behaviour.

HTH
--
vikram...
--
I've got an IDEA!!  Why don't I STARE at you so HARD, you forget your
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER!!