USB subsytem

Ron Yorston rmy at tigress.co.uk
Wed Oct 19 09:39:49 UTC 2005

Trevor "TeC" Christian wrote:
>I looking through my root mail
>this morning, i found that @ 4:43 this morning this server lost contact
>with the UPS directly connected to it via the USB port.  This setup was
>always working and a similar configuration is still currently working on
>another remote server.

I have a problem with a phone that's attached via USB to one of my systems.
It works fine for weeks or months, then drops off the bus for no apparent
reason.

To fix it I have a cron job that monitors the connection from time to
time.  When it sees that the phone isn't responding it unloads and
reloads the associated USB modules:

        /sbin/rmmod cdc_acm
        /sbin/rmmod ohci_hcd
        sleep 5
        /sbin/modprobe ohci_hcd
        /sbin/modprobe cdc_acm
        sleep 5

The phone is the only device attached to this hub.  If you want to try
this you'll need to check which modules are associated with your UPS.

Ron