Any good news re NetworkManager for Intersil Prism 2 users on FC4?

Patrick fedora at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 19 12:07:55 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 12:50 +0100, D. D. Brierton wrote:
> I'm using FC4 and *really* want to try the new NetworkManager 0.5.0.
> However, in the past I haven't been able to use NetworkManager because
> the orinoco_cs driver for Intersil Prism 2 cards didn't support scanning
> and various other things that NM needs. I've kept hearing for ages now
> that the latest versions of the driver will work with NM, but are those
> drivers in the latest FC4 kernels? I'm on kernel-2.6.13-1.1526_FC4.i686.
> How can I determine which version of the orinoco_cs driver I have?
>
> *If* the drivers I have are kosher, what steps do I have to take to use
> NM? I assume that I have to enable the NetworkManager and
> NetworkManagerDispatcher services, but which services which currently
> start network interfaces do I have to *disable*. Do I have to do
> anything with system-config-network (i.e. delete the network interfaces
> from it)?

>From my limited experience with fiddling with NetworkManager I vaguely
remember that you need to stop the network (service network stop). Then
start NetworkManager and the NetworkManagerDispatcher services. Fire up
your graphical desktop and start the NetworkManagerInfo application.

I have no idea if the right/latest orinoco_cs drivers are in FC4. Doing
a modinfo orinoco_cs doesn't give much of a clue. Today there was a post
on the fedora-test list that NetworkManager-0.5.0 for FC4 was released
for testing.

Regards,
Patrick