Any good news re NetworkManager for Intersil Prism 2 users on FC4?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Wed Oct 19 14:05:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, D. D. Brierton wrote:

> I'm using FC4 and *really* want to try the new NetworkManager 0.5.0.
> However, in the past I haven't been able to use NetworkManager because
> the orinoco_cs driver for Intersil Prism 2 cards didn't support scanning
> and various other things that NM needs. I've kept hearing for ages now
> that the latest versions of the driver will work with NM, but are those
> drivers in the latest FC4 kernels? I'm on kernel-2.6.13-1.1526_FC4.i686.
> How can I determine which version of the orinoco_cs driver I have?

Don't know this one.

> *If* the drivers I have are kosher, what steps do I have to take to use
> NM? I assume that I have to enable the NetworkManager and
> NetworkManagerDispatcher services, but which services which currently
> start network interfaces do I have to *disable*. Do I have to do
> anything with system-config-network (i.e. delete the network interfaces
> from it)?

Turn off the network service.  You can also use system-config-network to
set all interfaces to not start at boot (this may not be necessary if you
aren't running network service), but you don't need to delete them.  In
fact, if you keep them around, you can revert to not using NM if it causes
problems.

NetworkManagerDispatcher is for starting services that require a network
when NM brings one up.  So you could turn off ntp at boot and start it
from NMD instead.

The first time you log in, start nm-applet.  It should detect an
interface, and from then on, it should start when you log in.

See the article at www.ces.clemson.edu/linux for setting up ACPI and NM.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences