Wireless Cards

Oliver Leitner shadow333 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 17:59:47 UTC 2005

my personal experienced with gnu and wifi so far:

working cards:

netgear ma401 with prism modules, and with hostap, and at some early stage
with 2.4.x linux kernel built in support as wvlan0 etc....
elsa mc-11 with orinoco modules, or hostap
some "built in" thing in an ibm laptop with madwifi modules

i personal friend of mine got a few newer and no name cards running as well,
the only thing known to be troublesome to us both are those usb to wlan
thingies...

if you have problems with this ipw modules, maybe wanna give their cvs tree
or some other modules a shot.

sometimes its only adding info from cardctl to the pcmcia.opt or
wireless.opt files...

Greetings
Oliver Leitner

On 10/19/05, Ed Hill <ed at eh3.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 09:44 -0700, Ed Landaveri wrote:
> > Please, is anyone using a well known wireless adapter whose chip is
> > listed on /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/wireless? I made
> > work my laptop with ipw2200 but I got tired trying to compile the
> > adm811 driver for the belkin f56001 or the WMP54GS from Linksys. They
> > said that they work with ndiswrapper which I tried to install without
> > success. Anyway I just want to know which wireless card works out of
> > the box. Any recommendation will be surely appreciatte it. Thanks
>

> I've also struggled to find WiFi cards that work with a minimum of fuss.
> I finally bought a laptop (ThinkPad T42p) that works with the ipw2100
> driver and that pretty much ended my WiFi problems (it even works nicely
> after ACPI suspend/resume events, etc.).
>
> If you buy one of the older 802.11b Orinoco or compatible cards, then
> they'll usually work well ("out of the box") with the orinoco_cs driver.
> You can find them (cheap!) on eBay and I *think* the following new model
> has the same chipset:
>
> http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=501470
>
> Ed
>
> --
> Edward H. Hill III, PhD
> office: MIT Dept. of EAPS; Rm 54-1424; 77 Massachusetts Ave.
> Cambridge, MA 02139-4307
> emails: eh3 at mit.edu ed at eh3.com
> URLs: http://web.mit.edu/eh3/ http://eh3.com/
> phone: 617-253-0098