Complete graphical boot for Fedora

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Wed Oct 19 19:29:55 UTC 2005

On or about 2005-10-19 09:10, Rex Dieter pulled out a trusty #2 pencil
and scribbled:

> Gangaraju wrote:
>
>> AFTER SELECTING AT GRUB MENU ,FIRST THE TEXT MESSAGES LIKE
>>
>> title fedora (2.6.9-fedora)
>> root (hd0,0)
>> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-fedora ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
>> initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-fedora.img
>> Uncompressing the kernel

>> Initialising hardware storage network audio
>>
>> THEN GRAPHICAL BOOT(X SERVER) STARTS , ALL TEXT MESSAGES ARE HIDDEN
>> AND ONLY A IMAGE WITH PROGRESS BAR IS SHOWN.
>>
>> BUT I WANT TO BUILD MY KERNEL AS WHEN SELECTING AT GRUB MENU IT SHOULD
>> NOT SHOW ANY KIND OF TEXT MESSAGES,BUT ONLY GRAPHICAL IMAGE WITH
>> PROGRESS BAR
>

> AFAIK, there is no way to disable those initial "Uncompressing
> kernel..." messages, even when using the graphical boot option (rhgb)
>
> -- Rex

Well, even though I admit I haven't looked, surely the sources for grub
have something like "print(...." statements in them that can be
removed.  I wouldn't think it would be terribly tough to edit and
re-make grub, but maybe I should look at it first....

--
Fritz Whittington -- TI Alum -- http://www.tialumni.org
"What I hear, I forget. What I see, I remember. And what I do, I understand." --Chinese Proverb