Remote device use problem!

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 21:48:32 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 05:58, Thiago Amaury Ferraz wrote:

> Well, I've a big problem, I've backup servers (FC4) that need to send their
> content to a tape device in another Sun Solaris machine, I used RSH, but
> now, I don't know why, It's not working.. I believe that's a problem with
> FC4..

The best solution is to set up a backup manager like amanda or bacula.
It is more work up front, but subsequently takes care of itself.

>  I receive the error message "Input/output error".. someone would have
> a new solution to suggest or a solution to this error? How can I send the
> backup servers content to another tape device machine? SSH?! which command?!
> I'm trying to use CPIO.. but it's not working..

> Thank's a lot.. sorry about my persistence.. but.. I'm looking for a
> solution there are days.. without success! I received some suggests about
> commands.. but, they're not working..

Can you reverse the scenario and avoid the issue with rmt completely?
That is, from the machine with the tape drive issue:
ssh backup_target 'backup_command' >/dev/tape
where the backup command can be the path to a conveniently located
script on the target host or the literal commands needed  to generate
a backup to stdout.  If you run the command from the tape host you
also have the advantage that you can script several runs to the
non-rewind device if they will fit and not worry about timing.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com