installing a grub/lilo bootloader on the MBR of a MOUNTED hdd

Khaled khaled at ipbill.com
Thu Oct 20 08:59:38 UTC 2005

Hello all,

Many thanks for your replies. Having tried all of your advice, I am stil at
square one.
Sometimes I get the error message that grub needs to be installed (but I
have all necessary files, configured correctly, copied from the original
server - sella). Secondly that it cannot find the device when I
specify --root-directory=DIR.

Having also tried Stuart's advice:
/sbin/grub-install /dev/hdc
there is no grub-install entry under /sbin/ so it didnt let me do it...

I am lost :(

Could someone guide me to how to install grub (or lilo - I just want the
disk to boot on its own) on a mounted HD (/dev/hdc2), where hdc1 is swap,
and hdc2 is /

I noticed that copying /dev/ from sella to the sellaClone was incomplete
because the drives were missing (the only thing copied was MAKEDEV); thus,
this is the only thing I have under /dev/ of sellaClone. I think this is
why, when I chroot to the mount point and issue grub-install /dev/hda2, it
cannot find the device under /dev/ (?)

Please help.

Khaled

First of all, can you tell me