SAMBA Check List

Oliver Leitner shadow333 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 15:40:09 UTC 2005

iptables running?
if so, are the samba ports open?
windows firewall thing running?
if so, are the ports setup?
windows computer browser service running?
cable connected?
interface on the gnu box up?
ip in the same subnet as the windows box?
eventually a router inbetween, that could be blocking that informations?
eventually an access point inbetween, that could be blocking that
informations?

does \\ipofyourlinuxbox\sharename work from within windows?

if it works, mr. vernon brought up some quite good ideas bout usernames and
passwords, aka account setups...

if thats all right, what service pack version is the xp machine?
what version is your samba daemon?
have you checked for the lil settings within smb.conf? (things like domain
resolution, which ip is allowed to access the service, etc...)
does the name resolving work? (hosts file setup etc...)

just a few...

Greetings
Oliver Leitner

On 10/20/05, David J. Vernon <redhat at ladadee.com> wrote: