Installing perl modules on FC4 x86_64

Benjamin Franz snowhare at nihongo.org
Thu Oct 20 17:00:42 UTC 2005

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Jay Curtis wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am having a problem with understanding what is going wrong with installing
> perl modules and then trying to install rpm packages that rely on that
> module.   When I download a perl module from CPAN and install it using the
> standard "perl Makefile.pl; make; make test; make install", the module makes
> and installs with no errors.  When I then try to install an rpm package,
> i.e. perl.MLDBM-2.01.1.2.fc4.rf.noarch from dries repository, the rpm
> command fails with:

[...]

Use RPM for Perl modules _or_ use CPAN: Don't mix both on an ad hoc basis.
_Bad Things (TM)_ will happen otherwise.

Be very aware that the RPM system doesn't know about CPAN installs and,
further, sometimes seems to install some modules components in unusual
directories. This can result in wierd versioning problems for modules as
CPAN installs something in one directory while RPM puts something in a
different directory with a different version or as the RPM installed
modules partially or completely overwrite CPAN installed modules.

--
Benjamin Franz

The designer of a new kind of system must participate fully in the implementation.

                                                          - Donald E. Knuth