OT: www.linux.org

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Thu Oct 20 19:19:44 UTC 2005

On or about 2005-10-19 17:46, jludwig pulled out a trusty #2 pencil and
scribbled:

>On Wednesday 19 October 2005 15:42, taharka wrote:
>

>>Any one here know whats up with their site? There has been no access for
>>the past couple of days, but the site responds to pings :-(
>>
>>taharka
>>
>>Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.
>>

>I had issues with some sites a while ago. It turned out to be a poisoned DNS
>server lookup table.
>
>Oops just tired it --- putting in linux.org failed, but http://www.linux.org
>did not!!!

Yes, note the different IPs returned by pinging linux.org and
www.linux.org.  A lot of people just don't type the "www" part, because
if you just type the "linux.org" part and it's not found, then the
browser automatically prepends "www." and trys again.  Also, many sites
have the "www.abc.xyz" in DNS point to the same server as "abc.xyz".
However, in this case, linux.org returns a valid IP address, there just
isn't a web server there, so nothing happens...

--
Fritz Whittington -- TI Alum -- http://www.tialumni.org
"I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. And tomorrow isn't looking good either."  --Unknown