RPM Database broken

Francois Massonneau frmas at free.fr
Thu Oct 20 20:08:54 UTC 2005

On Thursday 20 October 2005 13:58, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

Hello,

> If you ran rpm --initdb (as you indicated in another post), then you
> completely emptied your RPM DB.

Yes, I understood that but it  was too late ;-(

> Do you have /var/log/rpmpkgs*?  If so, you could try the following:

Yes, I have five files, as rpmpkgs rpmpkgs.1 rpmpkgs.2 rpmpkgs.3 and
rpmpkgs.4

> (1) Download a complete set of RPMs listed in your last good rpmpkgs log
> and place them in a directory.

Yes what among those five files is the good one ? Do they include the same
files listing ?? Do I have to copy/ paste them to form a single huge file ?
I ask you that, because while reading different posts, I found a script
someone wrote that automate the process to build a new database based on
those files you add to form a single file.
I can post it in case this could be use by someone, but on my side, I don't
know how to use it. Maybe just to run it, with as parameter the name of
that rpmpkgs file ..? but see below

> (2) Create a script that, for each file in /var/log/rpmpkgs, executes
>
>  	rpm -U --justdb <filename>
>
> (3) If you hadn't added, deleted, or updated any RPMs since the date of
> the log file you used, you should be done.  Otherwise, add, delete, or
> update the remaining packages by hand using the --justdb option.
>
> Maybe somebody could suggest a shortcut.  I don't know if yum can help
> here or not.

I did differently, but I would like to have your advices/opinions on that :
I have another computer at home which has approximatively the same packages
as my laptop (the one on which i have those pbs). I zipped all files I had
in the /var/lib/rpm directory on my home computer, copied them on my
laptop, unzipped them in my laptop:/var/lib/rpm directory, and run against
them rpm -vv --rebuilddb.
It seems it works again.
Was I right or not ??
Thank you. Francois