erronious temporature warnings on new FC4 box

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu Oct 20 20:21:36 UTC 2005

Hi folks.

I've just build a new FC4 system on a spare tower box I had and all
worked fine.  This system is replacing an old RH7.3 system running in a
rack chassis which has a different motherboard etc.

However, when I transferred the HDD to the rack chassis and powered up I
had 2 problems.  This problem is that a few minutes after booting up
the following starts popping up in all available consoles (plus a
kwrite window).

 Message from syslogd at eddie1 at Thu Oct 20 21:13:18 2005 ...
eddie1 kernel: CPU0: Temperature above threshold

 Message from syslogd at eddie1 at Thu Oct 20 21:13:18 2005 ...
eddie1 kernel: CPU0: Running in modulated clock mode

However, the CPU isn't overheating and I've no idea why it's running in
'modulated clock mode' or even what it is.

I've left the box powered up in the BIOS 'PC Health Check' screen for 15
minutes and the CPU temp stays at around 70degs with the permitted
range stated as being 60-90degs.

Anyone any ideas what these mean, and how I can sort it? The box is
FC4+yum update.

Cheers
Gary
--