RPM Database broken

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Oct 20 22:59:41 UTC 2005

Matthew Saltzman writes:

>> Yes what among those five files is the good one ? Do they include the same
>> files listing ?? Do I have to copy/ paste them to form a single huge file ?
>
> A dump of the RPM db is done nightly, overwriting /var/log/rmppkgs.  The

Ha.

Several years ago I suggested making regular backup copies of the entire RPM
database, due to persistent corruption caused by the db back-end.  I always
considered db, in all of its permutations, to be flaky and unreliable.

jbj vetoed the idea.  That whole episode should be somewhere in Bugzilla.

So now, we're dumping just the names of packages.  Well, at least it's
progress, I suppose.  Maybe, in another couple of years, common sense will
prevail, and the entire RPM database will get backed up regularly,
automatically.

Disk space is cheap, and rpmdb is absolutely vital.  You lose it, you're
boned.  Since recovering from this kind of a fsckup would be so trivial, if
rpmdb got backed up regularly, there's really no valid excuse not to do it.