OT: www.linux.org

taharka res00vl8 at alltel.net
Thu Oct 20 23:46:18 UTC 2005

Fritz Whittington wrote:

> On or about 2005-10-20 14:34, taharka pulled out a trusty #2 pencil
> and scribbled:
>
>> Fritz Whittington wrote:
>>
>>> On or about 2005-10-19 17:46, jludwig pulled out a trusty #2 pencil
>>> and scribbled:

>>> Yes, note the different IPs returned by pinging linux.org and
>>> www.linux.org.  A lot of people just don't type the "www" part,
>>> because if you just type the "linux.org" part and it's not found,
>>> then the browser automatically prepends "www." and trys again.
>>> Also, many sites have the "www.abc.xyz" in DNS point to the same
>>> server as "abc.xyz".  However, in this case, linux.org returns a
>>> valid IP address, there just isn't a web server there, so nothing
>>> happens...
>>>
>> Well, I still can't get to the site, no matter what address I use :-(
>>
>> taharka
>>
>> Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.
>>
> What happens if you click on this link:  http://198.182.196.56/
>
> (or just copy/paste or type it in) ?

The following error message;

Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 198.182.196.56.
*   The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in
a few
     moments.
*   If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
     connection.
*   If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy,
make sure
     that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Also tried other computers on my LAN with Firefox, Opera & IE. None of
them are able to connect either :-(

taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.