OT: www.linux.org

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Oct 21 00:50:07 UTC 2005

taharka wrote:

> Fritz Whittington wrote:
>
>> On or about 2005-10-20 14:34, taharka pulled out a trusty #2 pencil
>> and scribbled:

>>> Well, I still can't get to the site, no matter what address I use :-(
>>>
>>> taharka
>>>
>>> Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.
>>>
>> What happens if you click on this link:  http://198.182.196.56/
>>
>> (or just copy/paste or type it in) ?
>>
> The following error message;
>
> Unable to connect
> Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 198.182.196.56.
> *   The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again
> in a few
>     moments.
> *   If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
>     connection.
> *   If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy,
> make sure
>     that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
>
> Also tried other computers on my LAN with Firefox, Opera & IE. None of
> them are able to connect either :-(
>
> taharka
>
> Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.

I had a recent problem where the router had characters that seemed to be
either another language or random trash within the dhcp tables on the
LAN side. I was not able to see the net from linux but my wife using XP
had no problems connecting.
To fix my problem, I had to set my IP in linux manually within the range
the router allowed and enter the IP for the router, then reset the
router to factory settings.
I doubt that your problem is due to a corrupted dhcp client table on
your router, but just in case you have a similar cause.

Jim

--
QOTD:
	If it's too loud, you're too old.