spamassassin doesn't seem to be using bayes

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Fri Oct 21 15:02:33 UTC 2005

I'm using FC4 with spamassassin-3.0.4-1.fc4. fetchmail delivers mail to
a locally running postfix. spamd is running as a service, and spamc is
called by procmail on my mail. My setup is almost identical to that
desribed here:

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/UsedViaProcmail

However, despite the fact that I have trained spamassassin on a vast
amount of both ham and spam using sa-learn, I suspect that Bayesian
testing is not being applied. I became suspicious that this might be the
case after receiving over a dozen almost identical messages and despite
training spamassassin on them they are still not being identified as
spam. So I started looking at the headers that spamassassin adds to each
message more closely. Here is the header it added to a recent message
from this list:

autolearn=failed version=3.0.4

And here is an example of an incorrectly identified spam message:

RCVD_BY_IP autolearn=no version=3.0.4

Now according to this:

http://spamassassin.apache.org/tests_3_0_x.html

in the "tests" part of those headers I ought to see one of:

BAYES_00
BAYES_05
BAYES_20
BAYES_40
BAYES_50
BAYES_60
BAYES_80
BAYES_95
BAYES_99

Am I just getting confused or is Bayesian checking not happening?

Best, Darren