installing a grub/lilo bootloader on the MBR of a MOUNTED hdd

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Oct 21 00:51:19 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 16:57 +0100, Khaled wrote:

> Am I correct in thinking that the clone will only boot when connected
> to the original server's motherboard (ie in its place) due to specific
> settings and configs being copied over. In other words it will fail to
> boot if on any system other than the original?

I can't see why.  All that should be required is that drives being
connected in the same way.  i.e. What's /dev/hda on one PC should be
connected as /dev/hda on the other.

*After* booting you might have to reconfigure things to accommodate any
hardware changes.  Running "kudzu" might be all you need to do.
Otherwise it's probably a case of redoing your network, X server and
sound card configuration, etc.

Oh, and any special kernel parameters you've got in your grub.conf file
might need altering.

I read messages from the public lists.