Yum problem!!!

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Oct 21 01:21:49 UTC 2005

Tim:

>> This seems to be a FC4 problem, as my FC3 machines work fine with YUM,
>> and the same file servers.  FC4 seems to just fail all over the place
>> while trying to do updates.

Timothy Murphy:

> "sudo yum update" works just as well for me under FC4 as under FC3.
> Maybe your setup is wrong.
> In any case you should try to explain a bit more precisely what goes wrong;
> "fail all over the place" does not convey much information.

Let's see:

Without reconfiguring from the default, timeouts occur while trying to
do anything with YUM servers (find a server, get the list of updates,
get an update, etc.).  I looked through the man file, but didn't find a
note about any way to overcome that.  Someone here mentioned a "timeout"
option, such as timeout=16, which I used to help get things working, but
I didn't see a good reason to do that in the manual (it suggested the
default timeout was already 30 seconds).  I was getting quite long
delays between trying one mirror and the next, but each was failing
rather quicker than the delay before the next attempt.

If anything, it's not *my* setup that's wrong, it's *its* initial set up
that's wrong.  FC3 on the exact same hardware worked well, and using the
same mirror servers.  A fresh install of FC4 had all manner of problems:
Multiple timeout issues (it'd fail time and time again, trying other
mirrors, or complaining that it couldn't find other mirrors), and just
generally slowness as it goes about downloading, anyway (the speed of
yum fetching a file was slower than downloading it using some other
tool, from the same server).

I read messages from the public lists.