IMAP Access Not Working!!

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 21 17:21:54 UTC 2005

From: "Ki Song" <ki at knifecenter.com>
>> From: Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org>
>> Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:20:51 +0200
>> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>> Subject: Re: IMAP Access Not Working!!
>>
>> Am Fr, den 21.10.2005 schrieb Ki Song um 17:10:
>>
>>> Thanks, Aaron. When I entered:
>>> service dovecot restart
>>>
>>> - it failed to stop
>>> - it failed to start. Address already in use
>>>
>>> How do I find out which program is using that address?
>>
>> netstat -talpen | grep ":143"      -> greps for the application using
>> port 143 (IMAP)
>>
> This command says that xinetd is using that port. Is that correct?

Now take a look at what is shown in the file /etc/xinetd.d/imap out of
curiosity. Maybe save copies of it, imaps, pop3, and pop3s out of that
directory. In any case nuke those files from /etc/xinetd.d. Then execute
both "service xinetd reload" and "service dovecot restart". That will
remove whatever is being run as an xinetd based tool (slow) and enable
it dovecot as a proper daemon.

If you really want to leave the files in /etc/xinetd.d then look at all
four of those files and change any lines that say "disable = no" into
"disable = yes" OR "enable = yes" into "enable = no". Then reload the
xinetd daemon to turn off the inetd versions of these servers so that
you can run them via the services daemonizing method, which eats some
bit memory but reduces the processor load. If you want to run the imap
tool via xinetd then you'd need to change the name of the server in the
/etc/xinetd.d/imap file to the full path to dovecot AND read the dovecot
man pages and documentation in /etc/share/docs/dovecot*/ to make sure it
can run via xinetd and what you have to do to run it that way.

{^_^}