IMAP Access Not Working!!

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Fri Oct 21 17:33:51 UTC 2005

Am Fr, den 21.10.2005 schrieb Ki Song um 19:14:

> I did do a fresh install using the Perfect Setup - Fedora Core 4
> http://www.howtoforge.com/blok/print/128
>
> In this guide, it installed the cyrus apps.

On page 4 of that short instruction set it speaks about

"apt-get install cyrus-sasl cyrus-sasl-devel cyrus-sasl-gssapi
cyrus-sasl-md5 cyrus-sasl-plain postfix imap"

  note: from which repository does "imap" come from?

"chkconfig imap on
chkconfig imaps on
chkconfig ipop3 on
chkconfig pop3s on
/etc/init.d/xinetd restart"

So it advises to install xinetd controlled POP3 and IMAP services.

Run "rpm -qi imap" and post the output.

Page 3 of the "howto" advises to setup apt for rpm as follows:

rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/1/i386 core updates freshrpms

With the comment:

"In the last line, rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/1/i386 core
updates freshrpms, the 1 is not an error or typo! This is the repository
that has the imap package which we are going to install soon! So do not
change these lines!"

That is braindead! As it installs the uw-imapd (package name
imap-2002d-3.i386.rpm) from FC1 :( FC1 is EOL, that Core package
outdated as it has security issues. At least get the update package

http://download.fedoralegacy.org/fedora/1/updates/i386/imap-2002d-3.1.legacy.i386.rpm

from the Fedora Legacy Project.

To say it differently: that "howto" does not say anywhere to install
Cyrus-IMAPd. I suggest you better live with dovecot which comes with FC4
and not to use obsolete package - even vulnerable packages! - from FC1.

Alexander

Serendipity 19:20:44 up 3 days, 54 users, load average: 0.27, 0.13, 0.10