erronious temporature warnings on new FC4 box

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Sat Oct 22 09:05:29 UTC 2005

Gary Stainburn wrote:

> However, the CPU isn't overheating and I've no idea why it's running in
> 'modulated clock mode' or even what it is.

Modulated clock mode is an emergency state of the CPU where it basically
turns off the clock for some period of every millisecond (or some other
short cycle time) to reduce the heat the CPU is generating.

> I've left the box powered up in the BIOS 'PC Health Check' screen for 15
> minutes and the CPU temp stays at around 70degs with the permitted
> range stated as being 60-90degs.

The BIOS settings (and CPU temp) do not necessarily bear any
relationship to the settings active inside Linux.  Make sure ACPI is
active and have a poke around /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/??? to see what
the state of play is inside Linux.

How many CPUs are there, is this SMP kernel?  What CPUs exactly?  Many
many SMP BIOSes have trouble with ACPI tables, maybe that is involved too.

-Andy