[OT] - DVD Player

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Oct 22 09:10:33 UTC 2005

I'm going to be in the market for a new DVD player - for my TV soon.
My current cheapie is near the end of warranty, not failing - but
pixelating on good discs more and more often.

In the past when mom has missed Survivor, I've been able to grab the
episode in DivX or xvid via bt, and use dvdauthor to make her a DVD.

The DVD would play in totem (with appropriate gstreamer plugins), but
would not play in my DVD player - but when I mailed it to mom, it would
play in her DVD player just fine.

So obviously my current sub $40.00 DVD player is pretty limited ...

Anyway - I'd like one that can play DivX or xvid w/o having to transcode
to mpeg2 if possible. I'd like to rip all my Stargate SG1 dvd's for
example (I've got every season) and compress them as divx to save space
- and put as many as I can onto a single DVD.

Are there DVD players that will decode and play divx?
I could hook up a computer to my TV and use something like mythtv - but
I really don't want the fan noise etc. - and I'm also not sure I can add
another device to that circuit without occasionally tripping the circuit
breaker (it trips sometimes if I plug the vacuum cleaner into that
circuit - apparently I can't put a bigger breaker in because of code and
existing wiring, probably for good reason).

Thanks for suggestions.
I guess it *might* be wise to wait for the new format DVD players, but
who knows when they will hit the market, let alone at an affordable
price (I don't like paying the new device tax).