still no java on FC2->FC4...help!

John Pierce john.j35 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 16:49:24 UTC 2005

This is my preference and have been doing it since FC1.

As root do the following:

Download java selfextracting binary form java.sun.com, un-archive it
to (my preference) /opt.

cd /
ln -s /opt/jre1.5.0_05/ /java
        (or whatever your jre directory is)

I prefer joe, this wordprocessor closely mimics the original wordstar
from the 80's.

cd /etc
joe profile
/*
    in the profile file I always do a pathmunge /java/bin/ so create a
line near the end of the path statements and pathmunge /java/bin/
    create the next line somewhere in the profile file
*/
JAVA_HOME="/java/"
/*  then at the end of the export line add JAVA_HOME */

if you use joe once you made the changes a simple CTRL+K X will exit
and save the changes, or a CTRL+K Q will ask if you wish to abandon
the changes.

Once the changes have been saved, logout and log in and you can see if
your changes have taken effect by issuing the following statement at
the cli.

which java

should respond with

/java/bin/java