What about kernel "optimize for size"?

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Sat Oct 22 20:56:10 UTC 2005

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 07:25:57AM -0400, Steve Snyder wrote:
 > I'm having a hard time understanding the thinking of the FC developers
 > regarding the kernel "Optimize for size" option.
 >
 > Earlier 2.6.x kernels had this disabled, then they enabled it for a while, now
 > it's disabled in current FC4 kernels.  Meanwhile, the current RHEL4 kernel
 > does enable the  "Optimize for size" option, albeit with earlier compiler
 > (GCC v3.4.4) and kernel (2.6.9. + patches) version.
 >
 > What's going on here?  Does the value of this option change with differing
 > kernel versions?  How does one determine empirically whether this option
 > should be enabled or not?

As a rule, it's meant to be enabled.  The gcc in rawhide hit a compiler
bug, so whilst that got worked out, it got disabled for a while.
Whilst it was disabled however, the rebase to newer upstream happened,
and the disable crept into FC4 too.

Thanks for spotting it, I'll flip it back on in the next FC4 errata.
It's probably time to try it again in rawhide now too.

		Dave