Backup files with ~ tilde

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 15:55:33 UTC 2005

On 10/23/05, David Cary Hart <Fedora at tqmcube.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-10-23 at 17:04 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I have all these backup files in my home directory, that end with ~
> > (tilde). How can I tell Knoqueror not to show me these files? Also,
> > when I move a file, I want it's backup to go with it. I saw a SUSE
> > installation that does this recently, and the owner did not know how
> > it happens. In his opinion, it was always like that. Can I get Fedora
> > to do this too?
> >
> There is a kwrite configuration option that allows you to configure
> backup files with a prefix and a suffix. Just assign a prefix of "." and
> you won't see them. As for moving backup and original together I am
> clueless.

Thanks, David. I found the option to add the '.' prefix in Kate. I
don't know why I didn't think to look in there as it is very obvious
that it is she who creates and names those files.

However, there must be some way of configuring konqueror to associate
the backup with the original and to move them together. I only say
'must be' becuase I have seen it in action.

Dotan
http://technology-sleuth.com/long_answer/what_is_a_cellphone.html
What is a cellphone?