setting IP address manually

David-Paul Niner dpniner at dpniner.net
Sun Oct 23 16:20:30 UTC 2005

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

>On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 09:05:07 -0500,
>  Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at iesabroad.org> wrote:
>

>>Though I believe the issue you may be having is that you're trying to
>>assign the same IP address to both interfaces.  They should have a
>>different IP address (and ideally be on a different network)  for
>>example, eth0: 192.168.1.250,  eth1: 192.168.2.250.
>>

>No that isn't it. You can use the same IP address on different interfaces.
>The message about an IP address already in use, means some other system on
>the same network is using that address.

Since the cruxt of the original post was omitted, I don't have it to
consult.

I have to wonder, however, why in the world you would want to bind the
same ip address to more than one interface?   For purposes of failover
you'd  be better off binding a second address from the same network
(although that can cause issues, depending on what the box in question
is doing).   For purposes of packet forwarding they'd have to be on
different networks.

If you are interested in having a "spare" NIC around in case one dies,
you could configure it with an addres but simply leave it off-line.

Interesting,
David-Paul Niner

believed to be clean.