OT: Tux can even milk cows

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 01:21:28 UTC 2005

Tux can even milk cows.

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/23/072222&from=rss

Part of the thread is copy pasted for your convenience

Re:Learning Curve
(Score:5, Informative)
by lintux (125434) <slashdot.wilmer at gaast@net> on
Sunday October 23, @04:18AM (#13856639)
(http://wilmer.gaast.net/)
Coincidentally my parents have exactly this milking
system on their farm now, for about half a year. It's
really cool to see the thing boot up, see the LILO
menu appear and Red Hat Linux booting up.

Anyway, the cows don't get too much training. One day
they're milked the "traditional" way, the next day
there's the robot. It takes some time before they get
used to that. After about a week already (especially)
the younger cows get used to it already. They come 2/3
times a day by themselves, no problem. The problem is
mainly with the older cows, they somehow just don't
feel like going by themselves. Even now, half a year
after we started milking with this robot, we still
walk through the barn a couple of times a day to find
those cows and make sure they go to the robot.

And even then, they sometimes try to escape from the
waiting room to go back to their resting place.
Sometimes cows are really naughty. :-)

So I think it doesn't take a long time to make the
connection between "that new place" and the actual
milking. It just takes an eternity for some cows to
actually want to go there.

Hope this does not offend anyone but I thought it is
interesting.  Also the above poster says LiLO what
happened to grub, it is the default bootloader for Red
Hat/Fedora systems.

Best Regards,

Antonio