setting IP address manually

David-Paul Niner dpniner at dpniner.net
Mon Oct 24 03:07:29 UTC 2005

Tim wrote:

>Mike McGrath
>

>>>Though I believe the issue you may be having is that you're trying to
>>>assign the same IP address to both interfaces.  They should have a
>>>different IP address (and ideally be on a different network)  for
>>>example, eth0: 192.168.1.250,  eth1: 192.168.2.250.
>>>

>Bruno Wolff III:
>

>>No that isn't it. You can use the same IP address on different interfaces.
>>

>That's asking for problems.  IP addresses relate to interfaces, not
>machines.  Each interface should have an unique address.  You'd be
>relying on your system trying to sort out problems for you with the same
>IP on different interfaces, and that's never a good thing.
>

>>The message about an IP address already in use, means some other system on
>>the same network is using that address.
>>

>How's it going to do that, then?  My computer has no idea about another
>computer on my network unless it talks to it, and they don't do that
>unless I deliberately try something between the two of them.
>
>I *can* set two PCs on a network with the same IP address, it's an
>accident that happens time and time again on any network that has
>visiting PCs.  Of course I'm going to have lots of problems, but nothing
>stops me from doing so in the first place.

Perhaps this is true -- that you *can* set two PC's to the same IP
address on the same network -- but I'd be willing to bet that doing so
will eventually cause you problems.  Before the second machine brings up
the interface with the duplicate IP address it should send out an arp
request to see if the address is in use.    If I'm not mistaken, most
*nix ip stacks do just that.

Here's an article that describes the process in more detail:
http://linux-ip.net/html/ether-arp.html

Again, just because you *can* do something does not (necessarily) mean
that you *should.*

David-Paul Niner

believed to be clean.