FC4 on VMWare

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Oct 24 07:35:24 UTC 2005

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 11:52:50PM -0700, Patrick Nelson wrote:

 > >So it seems that the new kernels are not finding my sda drives in the
 > >VMware instance.  Has something changed in the later kernels to restrict
 > >finding the VMware sda?  This happens on the Guest OS (as above) whether
 > >the host OS is Windows or Linux so it is associated with the booting of
 > >FC4 kernels on the instance.  Anyone know if there is something I can do?
 > >
 > Looking through FC kernel stuff I found that some recent FC kernels have
 > had broken support for LSILogic which might be the problem.  Looks like
 > this may be fixed int 16xx version FC4 kernels.

It's not really broken per se. Upstream split the module in two
in 2.6.13.  Unfortunatly, this means that at kernel install time,
the /etc/modprobe.conf is going to contain the old module name,
and hence, a broken initrd will be created.

See bug alias FC4_FUSION for instructions on how to fix up your
modprobe.conf

		Dave