How to make FC3 and Win XP SP1 coexist safely?

wwp subscript at free.fr
Mon Oct 24 12:14:26 UTC 2005

Hello Yunus,

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:03:39 +0300 Markku Kolkka <markkuk at tuubi.net> wrote:

> Yunus kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika maanantai, 24. lokakuuta
> 2005 14:08):
> > How to install FC3 into this machine safely (without destroy
> > my data and Win XP) ? What partition should i create before
> > installing FC3? (I intend to use partition magic for this
> > purpose)
>
> Resize your Windows partitions to create free, unpartitioned
> space for Linux. Don't create any partitions with Partition
> Magic, let the Fedora installer take care of that.

When I received my latest brand new laptop w/ XP (SP1) installed on it, I
went in XP, used partition magic to downsize the XP partition, then booted
from FC3 CD to create a new ext3 partition that uses the just-free'd room,
then installed FC3 w/o problem. Grub config was properly set by the FC3
installer and XP appears (and boots) from grub menu :-).

Regards.

--
wwp