No network connection after upgrade (via 'yum')

Bill Perkins perk at iag.net
Mon Oct 24 16:27:42 UTC 2005

Jon D. Slater wrote:
> I just went back and tried kernel-2.6.13-1.1526_FC4 and the network is
> broken there too...
>
> Jon D. Slater wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I just recently did a 'yum' update to my existing FC4 install, and
>> re-booted.  The 'yum update' updated my kernel.
>> kernel-2.6.12-1.1456_FC4    -->   kernel-2.6.13-1.1532_FC4
>>
>> My network connection stopped.
>>
>> If I look at the network support tools, it looks like everything is
>> working.
>>
>> During boot, I see the network service start (appears fine), and the a
>> long pause when trying to connect to the nntp "Time Server" (which
>> Fails).
>>
>> If I reboot using the old (2.6.12-1.1456) kernel, everything works fine.
>>
>> Typically when I've yum-updated before, everything that's needed to
>> support the kernel "comes with it".
>>
>> I'm running FC4 on an HP Pavilion 8150, with a Linksys NC100 (Network
>> Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 [rev 11]) card.  And I've never had
>> any problems, until now.
>>
>> Obviously, this isn't an urgent issue, because I can boot using the
>> old kernel, but does anyone know of something I should have done?
>>
>> My first thought when this happened was that my network card had died,
>> so I replaced it with a 3 Com 3c905, and got exactly the same
>> problem.  (That's when I tried putting the old card back in and
>> booting using the old kernel.)
>>
>> Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
>>
>> Jon

I've had the same sort of issues with an RT2500 card; need to compile
the module for each new kernel I use, and starting the ntpd service
during boot usually causes a hang. Is there a special kernel module
needed for your NC100 card? You might need to compile and install it for
the new kernel, I don't know about that particular card. You could also
try turning off the ntpd service at startup, and start it manually after
bootup and login, that is what I do...

"The two most common things in the	| Bill Perkins
  universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity."	| perk at iag.net
					| programmer-at-large
		F. Zappa		| ALL assembly languages done here.