No network connection after upgrade (via 'yum')

Jon D. Slater Jon.Slater at LPBroadband.Net
Mon Oct 24 18:15:42 UTC 2005

Bill Perkins wrote:

> Jon D. Slater wrote:
>
>> Bill Perkins wrote:

>>> Ok, next question is, is the module loaded?
>>> # lsmod | grep <module_name_of_card>
>>>
>> I don't see anything regarding "linksys" or "nc100", but I *do* see
>> the "tulip" module.  (This is from the kernel that works.)
>>
>> I'm not at the location of the machine, so I can't try re-booting and
>> checking under the new kernel.
>>

> That looks like the one, from browsing /usr/src/kernels on my system,
> in drivers/net/tulip/Kconfig:
> config DE2104X
>         tristate "Early DECchip Tulip (dc2104x) PCI support
> (EXPERIMENTAL)"
>         depends on NET_TULIP && PCI && EXPERIMENTAL
>         select CRC32
>         ---help---
>           This driver is developed for the SMC EtherPower series Ethernet
>           cards and also works with cards based on the DECchip
>           21040 (Tulip series) chips.  Some LinkSys PCI cards are
>           of this type.  (If your card is NOT SMC EtherPower 10/100 PCI
>           (smc9332dst), you can also try the driver for "Generic DECchip"
>           cards, below.  However, most people with a network card of
> this type
>           will say Y here.) Do read the Ethernet-HOWTO, available from
>           <http://www.tldp.org/docs.html#howto>.
>
>           To compile this driver as a module, choose M here and read
>           <file:Documentation/networking/net-modules.txt>.  The module
> will
>           be called de2104x.
>

> I don't know where you should go from here, perhaps look in
> system-config-network and see what that gives you for options and such.

I'll definitely look into it, but this still doesn't answer my initial
question; why upgrading my kernel (apparently the last two releases)
would break networking that's been working for months.

Anyone else?