Gnome-Terminal 2.10.0 bug/feature

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Oct 24 20:17:14 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 16:14 +0100, Bryan Anderson wrote:
> Type this in a (gnome) terminal:
>
> echo "this is ok \016 this is not but after \017 it is ok again"
>
> Same effect if you "cat" a file containing ^N and ^O to a terminal.
> Someone sends me emails with embedded ^N and ^O. Pine barfs when
> run in a GT.
>
> Is there a way to stop this happening other than being rude to them?

This echo statement displays exactly as typed for me with gnome-terminal
2.10.0

[jeff at eagle websites]$ echo "this is ok \016 this is not but after \017
it is ok again"
this is ok \016 this is not but after \017 it is ok again

[jeff at eagle websites]$ rpm -qa gnome-terminal
gnome-terminal-2.10.0-2
[jeff at eagle websites]$ rpm -qa \*bash\*
bash-3.0-31
[jeff at eagle websites]$ rpm -qf /bin/echo
coreutils-5.2.1-48.1
[jeff at eagle websites]$ rpm -qf /bin/cat
coreutils-5.2.1-48.1

Which bash are you running? and which coreutils?  The echo & cat
commands are part of the coreutils package.