FC4 installer switching to garbled video after /sbin/loader

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Mon Oct 24 21:06:33 UTC 2005

patrick wrote:

> I have also tried adding video=640x480-8 at 60 and variations of that.
> According to my monitor, /sbin/loader is switching from 1024x768 at 60Hz
> NP to 1064x768 at 60Hz NN. I'm actually not sure what NP or NN mean; it's
> just what the monitor is reporting.

It's the polarity of the HSYNC and VSYNC signals, N=Negative P=Positive.
 My experience with Via stuff (usb, ide chipsets) has been slightly
dubious, but the video worked well enough in Fedora since FC1.

Just an idea - how about using the Svideo out to a TV to try to get you
over this hump?  This should be issued as NTSC for you regardless of the
actual video mode.

-Andy